Saturday, October 30, 2010

Memento

            Memento, I love this movie. This was not the first time I have seen the film, my first time was my senior year in high school in my physiology class. We watched the movie in order to analyses Leonard's disorder because we were learning abut mental illnesses of the mind and Leonard is a perfect example of this.
            After I saw the movie the first time I was definitely confused so I got the movie and now own it. I  have since watched the movie a handful of times in order to better understand the film. Overall what I have discovered is that there is no correct way to view this movie, it is open to interpretation. Christopher Nolan has a brilliant imagination and ability to tell complex mind boggling stories, I enjoy all his films like this such as Inception. Movies to me that make you think and leave you thinking when their over are one of the best kind because I enjoy being challenged  sometimes and not having the plot be so obvious.
           Furthermore, my take on the movie has developed more and more each time i see the film because I am always finding more details and things to consider. So far what I have personally decided is that Leonard and his wife were really the couple portrayed as Sammy and his wife. Leonard dose not like to remember this though so he destroyed the part in the police report that stated it. He also does not like to remember that the reason his wife died was because he gave her insulin too many times, instead he chooses to remember her murdered in their bathroom. This allows him to continue his wild chase to find her killer and remain "happy". However, this is not a real happiness and eventually its going to destroy him. I also believe that Natalie was using and messing with Leonard the whole time. As for Teddy I believe that he was a corrupt cop who was using Leonard to his own advantage, but he was his only true ally in the film. Despite that fact the Teddy was not an honest good guy he was the only one who really new Leonard's story, he tried to keep him out of harms way unless it was to his benefit, he dose try to tell him the truth.
            Christopher Nolan ultimately  creates a brilliant story with an unconventional plot. it is a great idea to do a movie this way very unique and i admire him for being different and not following the norm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment